Made by my seeester:
She cooks a whole lot more than I do because she’s married and all.
- 2 pound lean ground beef (or chicken) + 1 can of drained black beans to mix in
- 20 (6 inch) corn tortillas, quartered
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 (12 ounce) jar chunky salsa
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
1. Crumble the ground meat into a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until evenly browned. Add taco seasoning and water and can of black beans; simmer for 15 minutes over low heat.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the salsa, cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup. Mix in most of the cheese, reserving 1/2 cup for later.
3. Place a layer of tortillas covering the bottom of a slow cooker. Scoop a layer of the ground meat over that, and then spoon a layer of the cheese mixture. Repeat the layers until you run out of stuff, ending with a layer of tortillas on the top. Top with remaining cheese.
4. Cover, and cook on High for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Use taco bell chunky salsa next time, the one she had this time was too spicy. It seeps into the food and flavors it more overnight when you eat it as a leftover, so keep that in mind when choosing salsa. (I’m thinking anything mild and chunky would suit my taste best!)
Also, if you don’t want it to be crunchy, either skip the top layer of tortillas or add more meat and cheese on top of them.
Recipe is a slightly healthified version of this recipe. 🙂