I haven’t posted a recipe in AGES! I’m pumped!!!
This is a recipe I have been dying to make for a while now! Since I’ve started paying attention to macros, I’ve found that the biggest challenges are hitting your protein goal and staying under your fat goal. So if a low hat YUMMY protein recipe exists, sign me up! Especially if it’s easy! And this one IS! As long you as have an electric mixer 😉
Ever since I’ve started paying attention to my protein intake, it’s been easier to gain muscle, lose fat, have more energy, and PR pretty much all of my lifts. I definitely want to always prioritize a high-protein diet. If I don’t pay attention to what I eat, I end up with a macro-pie chart where over half of it is fat! Whoops.
You can learn more about the benefits of protein here!
Angel Food Protein Cake
The macros for the whole recipe are:
Calories: 244 | Fat: 1.2g | Carbs: 4.3 g | Protein: 47.5g | Sugars: 3.6g | Fiber: 0.8g
- 8 whole eggs at room temp
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 c protein powder of choice (I used cellucor cor-fetti cake batter)
- splash of vanilla extract
- liquid stevia to taste (you may need about 10-20 drops)
- Either take your eggs out an hour before you being, to do what i did and put them in a warm water bath for about 5-10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Carefully separate your egg whites from the yolks and add them to the bowl of your electric mixer.
- Add the cream of tartar, stevia, and vanilla extract to the bowl and start mixing with the whisk. I slowly picked up speed until I had the thing on full blast! Wooo!
- After a minute or so you will notice it getting pretty frothy. You will want to wait until the egg whites are so white and creamy that they start to form stiff peaks.
- Take bowl off of mixing stand and fold in the protein powder. You can also fold in some extra sprinkles at this point! I wish I had some, but I was out. Now you’re ready to bake!
- Hopefully you have some good nonstick pans that work for angel food cake. You’ll want the pan to have flat sides and not be too wide or deep. I don’t have an angel food cake pan so I used a small 6″ pan and a loaf pan. I sprayed the bottoms of them both with cooking spray just in case.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top pushes back when you poke at it.
In the future, I will definitely add regular sprinkles as well. Because why not!?